Jan 29, 2009

Beautiful Day in Perugia

A view on the way home from school
Basilica of San Pietro
Perugia was very lively today. Today was the "Festa di San Costanzo"-- the festival honoring Saint Costanzo, the patron saint of Perugia. There was a small band of little old men playing in the street and tents set up in the Piazza. There were also a million booths selling anything from puppies and turtles to underwear and cheese... the latter not together of course.
We went on a walk with my Italian class through the market and then visited the Basilica of San Pietro. The frescos were stunning (as usual) and the Basilica holds some of the most important pieces of artwork in Perugia. Very cool.
Classes have been going on for a full two weeks now and I already feel like I've been here forever. I also think I'm in love... with Leonardo da Vinci. "Leonardo da Vinci" is the title of one of my classes and it is too cool. He was an all-around genius and probably one of the most interesting people to read about. I will be going on an overnight field trip with my class to Milan and Florence in March to see his artwork.
I'm visiting a biodynamic farm in Tuscany tomorrow with another class and will be posting those pictures soon! Now for some fun Italian facts:
Doors open the opposite way
Italians are obsessed with "Nutella"- a chocolatey frosting-like spread
Milk comes in bottles no bigger than a litre
Wine is cheaper than water
The color purple is IN- every store window displays purple everything
Italians love shiny shoes and jackets...

That's all for now. Ciao!
XO

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What does "doors open opposite way" mean?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Any special meaning for the color purple?
Enjoying your pictures, and how are you doing
with the EXPRESSO!!!

Happy birthday,
Love,
GR/GR

Ann said...

I was going to comment that your pictures are like something out of a dream and then realized that this is indeed the dreaming tree! So perfect.

And I'm with Nick on the doors question.

Jenna said...

You have to push doors to get in places and pull them to get out. It's the opposite in the US and I still find myself having trouble opening doors here...