Jan 17, 2009

Exploration


After a lot of cold and rainy weather, yesterday was sunny and in the upper 40s- a perfect Friday for exploring and picture taking! (We don’t have school on Fridays either- whoo!)

Perugia is abuzz with media- we even saw an NBC van. The trial concerning the female student who was murdered last year is going on, so there are policemen everywhere and it is the front page of every newspaper. We walked to the courthouse, but the entrance was barricaded and there were too many people to see anything. The turnout will be interesting, as I have heard different sides of the story. You can read more about it here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2008636417/

I had my first gelato yesterday! We even asked the owner to take our picture to document the occasion. She also sells delicious pastries (think chocolate croissants from the Coffee Grinder, but better!) and espresso- this place could be dangerous.

That’s all for now, but I will leave you with some observations I have made since being in Perugia:

- Everyone has a dog.
- Everyone dresses their dog in clothes.
- Italians (and I’m pretty sure all Europeans) LOVE Obama. They even have a song about him.

- The word “prego” can be used in almost any situation… and I think it is the equivalent to saying “no worries”.
- The older man who works at the small grocery store by our apartment might just be the nicest person alive—he ran after us down the street when we forgot some groceries and even gave us two free bottles of wine!

Ciao!



4 comments:

Joan said...

Sweet pea! Great pictures, and I'm so happy you had your first gelato -- good? I would kill for a chocolate croissant from the Coffee Grinder right now. Just don't bring home any fancy-dressed dogs...
Love, Mom

Ann said...

What kind of clothes do the dogs wear? My huskie from "dogs around the world" wears a parka.

Love

Avery

Anonymous said...

So good to see your face on ichat. Great pictures.
Go easy on the Expresso!

Love You,
Grandpa & Grandma

Will try ichat again.

Jenna said...

Avery-
I've seen dogs in all sorts of clothes here- from little raincoats to sweater vests. I also saw a huskie like your dog! Not wearing clothes though...